Monday 30 January 2012

Skincare Favourites & Routine

Ever since I was a teenager one thing I always made sure that I had was a proper skincare routine.  I always cleanse, tone and moisturise in the morning and especially at night.  No matter how tired I am, one rule that I always follow is to never sleep in my make-up.  Although the products that I use may have changed over time, my routine never does.

During pregnancy your hormones can be all over the place and this can have a negative impact on your skin causing it to break out.  I was very fortunate in that a part from the odd blemish my skin was always in good condition and I think having a consistent routine has a lot to do with that.

So what products do I use to maintain a clear complextion?  Here they are.  Now although they work for me, they may not work for everyone.  I have combination skin (more on the dry side than oily) and it can be sensitive at times.  For example both the Clinque 3-Step programme and Chanel skin care range did not work for my skin and they both caused a raised rash on my cheeks.  The products below however seem to work with my skin rather than against it.


Step 1: Removing Make-up
Simple Cleasing Wipes x 25 for Sensitive Skin
Price varies from £2 - £3 depending on where purchased
Before cleasing my face I always make sure that I take off all my make-up using a facial wipe.  At the moment my favourite brand to use is Simple as they can remove even stubborn eye make-up.  They are designed to cleanse and tone the skin however I would never leave my skin after this step.  I feel that the wipe is designed to remove the make-up but I then cleanse the skin to ensure that it is really clean.  By doing this my skin has been a lot clearer and has reduced the chances of blemishes from appearing.

Liz Earle Clense and Polish £12.25 100ml Pump
Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic £12.25 200ml

Step 2: Cleanse & Polish

Liz Earle's Cleanse and Polish is a cult favourite of many beauty gurus.  The plant based cleanser is free from mineral oil, and has a rich and creamy texture which is able to remove all traces of face and eye make up, and even stubborn mascara by massaging it on to dry skin.  This is the then followed by using the pure muslin cloth to gently dislodge dead skin cells and help reveal clean, soft and radiant skin.   The cleanser includes eucalyptus and cocoa butter for smoother, clearer skin.  I adore this cleanser as it has transformed my skin and it is one that I will continue to purchase time and time again.


Step 3: Toner

After I have cleansed my skin, I soak a cotton pad in the toner and sweep it over my face and neck.  The toner is floral-scented (but not in an old granny way) and helps to soothe and brighten the skin as well as leaving it feeling refreshed. It is very gentle and alcohol-free. The ingredients include organic aloe vera to revitalise and soften and calendula, chamomile, cucumber and natural source vitamin E to soothe and refresh the skin. One thing that I do not like about some toners is that they can leave your skin feeling tight after using them.  This product does not do that, instead it leaves it fresh and moisturised.

Step 4: Removing Eye Make-Up 

Mac's Pro Eye Make-Up Remover £7 for 30ml

Often I might do this step before I use the toner and sometimes afterwards.  I won't do this everyday, however if after I have cleansed my skin using the wipes and the Cleanse and Polish I am still able to see traces of mascara on my eyelashes, then I will use this eye make-up remover.  Mac's Pro Eye Makeup Remover is a clear, lightweight liquid that gently and effectively removes all eye makeup, including waterproof and transfer-resistant products. It contains Cucumber Extract to soothe and hydrate the skin and it's perfectly safe for contact lens wearers and it doesn't sting your eyes when applied.

Step 5: Moisturise
Skin Repair Moisturiser £18.25 50ml Jar
I then apply a pea sized amount of moisturiser to my face and neck.  This perfectly balanced moisturiser softens, smoothes and conditions normal/combination skin for a naturally healthy glow.  It is rich in natural actives, including borage oil (a rich source of the essential fatty acid GLA) and natural antioxidants beta-carotene and vitamin E to replace lost moisture and help protect the skin. You can also purchase this moisturiser in a lighter formular for oily skin as well as one for dry skin.  This is quite a rich moisturise, hence why you only need a small amount as it is enough to cover your whole face.  It doesn't include an SPF (none of Liz Earle products do) however that doesn't bother me as my tinted moisturiser and foundations that I use do.  I also have a primer which has an SPF of 50 so I think that's more than enough.

Step 6: Eye Cream 

Origin's GinZing £21 for 15ml

I always use this eye cream in the mornings.  It is designed to reduce the look of dark circles and make bags and puffiness seem less visible. This eye cream also contains Caffeine from Coffee bean, Panax Ginseng, Magnolia Extract and natural optic brighteners to rapidly wake up, refresh and restore radiance to tired eyes.  All you need to do is pat the product gently around the eye area (do not rub as it will stretch the delicate skin and could cause wrinkles) for instantly brightened eyes.

Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair £36 for 15ml

Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair is a wonderful product although expensive. It has a silky serum-gel consistency which is designed to help reduce the look of every key sign of ageing around the fragile eye area:
  • Fine lines
  • Wrinkles
  • Puffiness
  • Dark circles
  • Dryness
  • Uneven skintone
Whether or not these claims are true I cannot say but I do feel that it has helped to prevent fine lines and wrinkles from appearing.  Although it is expensive, you only need a small amount so the product does last a very long time.  At the moment I want to maintain and protect the delicate area around the eye and whether it is this product or not, one things for sure and that is that I will always use an eye cream for day and night.  I have almost run out of this eye cream and I am quite intrigued to try other night creams on the market.  Any recommendations then please leave a comment below.
Pure Muslin Cloths £3.75 for 2

When using the Cleanse and Polish I always use one of Liz Earle's Muslin Cloths to polish the skin.  They are extremely kind on the skin and provide a gentle way to exfoliate the skin and enhance daily cleansing. They remove dead skin cells and impurities whilst helping to stimulate the circulation.  They are also machine washable but it is wise to wash them after every second use to ensure that they remain in good condition.

When I tell people my age, people are often surprised and say that I look younger then I am and I think that because I have always had a skin care routine and stick to it religiously this has helped to ensure that my skin is always well moisturised which is one way of preventing wrinkles etc from forming. 

Over the years the products I have used have changed and who knows whether or not I will still use these products in a years time.  One thing that will remain though is the routine of cleansing, toning and moisturing every morning and night and I will certainly encourage Olivia when she is older to do the same.

If you would like to know more about my beauty favourites then please subscribe!



No comments:

Post a Comment